Recovery and coping
- Consider all your options— there are many services available;
- Appreciate your family member for who they are;
- Re-establish your personal contacts and networks;
- Enable other family members to become involved & responsible for the Stroke person;
- Get assistance before reaching breaking point;
- Initiate new interests, pursuits and hobbies;
- Validate each other’s feelings – be honest;
- Embrace change and try to be flexible;
- Realistic expectations of yourself and your situation are important;
- Sex can remain an important source of enjoyment in a relationship.
- Be patient – It may take some time to come to terms with changed circumstances.
- Get outside assistance, when necessary – talk to people about your situation.
- Carers should look after themselves – take breaks to do things you enjoy.
- Acknowledge and discuss problems – do not pretend that everything is all right.
- Decisions may affect other family members. Involve them when appropriate.
Your Carers Association can assist you. Contact 1800 242 636